Liberals’ cuts and project delays keep on coming
- Budget update shows huge underspends on key projects
- Government’s “infrastructure budget” exposed
- Hodgman and Gutwein still headed for $1.1B in debt
The Minority Liberal Government’s Preliminary Outcomes Report 18-19 (POR) has exposed lies and financial recklessness from Will Hodgman and Peter Gutwein.
Shadow Treasurer Scott Bacon said despite a massive underspend on infrastructure, the Liberals were still driving Tasmania into $1.1 billion of debt.
“We have heard years of promises about debt from Will Hodgman and Peter Gutwein but it’s clear they aren’t worth the paper they’re written on,” Mr Bacon said.
“The Liberals have banked savings of more than $65 million from disability payments, almost $10 million from health and launched a $15 million raid on GBEs.
“Peter Gutwein’s reputation for economic management is in tatters.
Shadow Roads and Infrastructure Minister David O’Byrne said it was unforgiveable that the Government had chosen to delay key projects when Tasmania was stuck in the middle of a jobs emergency.
“Will Hodgman has sidelined spending in affordable housing, in school buildings, in trades and skills, and in tourism,” Mr O’Byrne said.
“The Bridgewater Bridge, Hobart Airport interchange and Mowbray connector are all on the list of projects that have been delayed, some many times over.
“Will Hodgman has pushed around $150 million in infrastructure spending out of 2018-19 and into the never-never.
“The Liberals claim to be an infrastructure Government but today’s announcement shows this is absolute rubbish.”
The POR also shows a significant underspend on infrastructure. Projects include:
- Hobart Airport interchange ($22.6m)
- Roads of Strategic Importance ($8.2m)
- Mowbray Connector ($6.1m)
- Bridgewater Bridge ($5.3m)
- Midland Highway ($4.7m)
- School infrastructure projects ($34.8m)
- Cradle Mountain Experience ($15.4m)
- Affordable Housing Strategy ($20.2m)
- TasTAFE Drysdale and other training infrastructure ($15m)
Scott Bacon MP
David O’Byrne MP
Shadow Minister for Roads and Infrastructure