Tasmanian Labor is committed to providing a positive and innovative alternative government for Tasmania.
Tasmania deserves a Government that values everyone in the community equally and stands up for Tasmanians who are doing it tough. Labor is committed to putting forward a plan for Tasmania that puts people first and sets a clear vision for Tasmania’s future.
Labor’s vision for Tasmania focused on the core areas of jobs, education, health, innovation, tourism, public transport and equality.
Those are just some of our policies designed to put people first.
- Labor will help ease traffic congestion and provide relief on tight family budgets by providing free travel for Tasmanian students.
- Labor will adopt a compassionate approach towards assisting unwell people to be able to obtain and use legally prescribed medicinal cannabis.
- Labor will establish the Tasmanian Education Partnership to work collaboratively with the Peter Underwood Centre to take education policy out of the political cycle.
- Labor will make Tasmania the Education State because every child in Tasmania in every school deserves the opportunity to get a great education.
- Labor will take the first steps towards securing Tasmania’s energy future by investing in electric transport technology to create jobs and future-proof the state in the face of rapidly changing electricity usage. The $10 million investment would kickstart an economic game-changer for Tasmania.
- Labor will work with stakeholders to develop a network of electric vehicle charging stations for Tasmania.
- Labor’s short stay accommodation policy will provide consumer choices, give certainty to traditional tourism operators and short stay providers, and minimise red tape.
- Labor will invigorate the minerals sector with a three point strategy aimed at encouraging mine rehabilitation, creating a special zone around the Mt Lyell mine and mobilising case managers to drive exploration.
- Labor will invest in a Bio-Fuels Innovation Fund to match private sector investment dollar for dollar.
- Labor will take action on sugary drinks and e-cigarettes to lead the way when it comes to preventative health.
- Labor will build at least two new Child and Family Centres in the first term of government.
- Labor will give more children the chance to participate in organised sport by assisting with the cost of participation.
- Labor will provide age appropriate social and emotional learning programs starting in primary school to ensure young Tasmanian’s get the chance to succeed and reach their full potential.
- Labor will lift vaccination and immunisation rates in Tasmania.
- A Labor Government would commit to increased recurrent funding for the operation of 33 Neighbourhood Houses across Tasmania.
- Labor is backing regional tourism and our special timbers sector and will establish a Franklin Maritime Heritage Centre, a key step towards realising the community’s vision for a working maritime precinct.